Wednesday, October 24, 2012

How to build your body up to running 3 miles when you have Lupus 101

Since my race I have been asked how I was able to run a 5K when I have Lupus.

Here's the answer:

Step #1:  First you need to play around with your diet, figure out what some of your triggers are.  For me, I'm super sensitive to nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, peppers).  I stopped eating them.

Step #2:  If you're currently in a flare-up you need to wait until you feel "normal" again.  Don't make the same mistake I did by thinking going straight out and running will help.  It won't.  You'll just make your flare-up worse.  Trust me on this.

Step #3:  After you feel "normal", you need to start walking.  Do it so slowly that you trick your body into thinking you're still laying in bed in agony....if you don't do it slowly enough you WILL be back in bed in agony.

First week:  Walk no more than 5 minutes.  Walk every day.  
Second week:  Walk no more than 10 minutes.  Walk every day.
Third week:  Walk no more than 15 minutes. Walk every day.

Step #4: Once you reach 30 minutes of walking, then it's time to start incorporating other activities that don't stress your knees (assuming you're like me and your Lupus effects one of them).

I did activities like bike riding, swimming, and hiking.  Do each activity for no more than 10 minutes when you first start them.  Build yourself up slowly to 30 minutes like you did with the walking.  Do NOT do walking simultaneously as these activities, you'll end up stressing your body and throwing yourself into a flare.

The whole idea of doing the other activities is to get your body used to have an accelerated heart rate.  Once you build up to 30 minutes, then add in 10 minutes of walking per day.

Step #5: Once you reach an hour of physical exercise, put yourself on the Couch potato to 5K runner's plan.

Stretch each day out for 3 days.  So do  Day 1 for 3 days, Day 2 for 3 days, and so on and so on.

Important note:  On your off days, continue to do some form of physical exercise--walking, swimming  biking, whatever.  Just make sure you move every single day. 

Listen to your body. If you feel your Lupus flaring up, then you MUST slow it down.

And as always, you know the drill--never start an exercise plan without the okay from your doctor.

Enjoy running, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment